Westgate is sponsored by thirteen supporting congregations. These churches make up the Mennonite Educational Society of Manitoba, an organization that was founded to operate and maintain Westgate Mennonite Collegiate. According to its constitution, it is the “objective of the Corporation to stress the integration of knowledge, to interpret the world and the meaning of life from a Christian perspective, to acquaint students with the Mennonite heritage, to stress Christian values, and to give leadership in education so that the changing needs of the students and the times will be considered.”
All are welcome to apply!
Westgate seeks a strong complement of Mennonite students from its constituent churches at each grade level. That said, all applications are welcome and every effort is made to place each applicant. Note that, because of admission guidelines, limits on class size and resources, Westgate may be unable to offer space or a program for all applicants.
Our application process is done through the ALMA START program on the Westgate website.
1. All new applicants will be asked to submit an application, references, a $50 application fee, and some relevant educational documentation.
2. Once we have received all parts of the application process (as listed above), Westgate will contact the family to set up an interview. The interview might include people from our administration and resource staff. You do not need to prepare for the interview. We want to get to know you and allow you to get to know us. We will try to give an indication at the end of the interview as to when you might expect to have an answer in terms of acceptance.
3. The following priorities will be used in admitting students
a) Returning students in good standing
b) Children of members of supporting congregations
c) Children of alumni
4. In addition, other factors taken into consideration are academics, class sizes, diversity, educational needs, potential social impact, affiliation with a Mennonite church, attendance at a Mennonite church school (such as Winnipeg Mennonite School (WMS)) and whether applicants are siblings of current students.
5. Once a student has been accepted by Westgate, families will receive an invitation to confirm their attendance in September (Confirmation of Acceptance). Families will then be asked to fill out a more thorough Acceptance Form and pay a $200 non-refundable deposit that will be applied towards their first payment of tuition.
6. Suitable applicants applying after the deadline, or for whom there is no available space, will be placed on a waiting list. As soon as space becomes available, these applicants will be notified.
7. Course Selection will take place in spring.