Individual Personal Counselling
- student, parent or teacher referrals
- post secondary and career advisement, class presentations, parent information evenings, individual counselling
- counselling regarding course selection, coordination of course changes
- coaching and support regarding scholarships
- assistance with job search skills and portfolio/resume writing
- coordination of Grade 9 “Take Our Kids to Work Day”
- facilitation of student visits to career symposia and university/college open houses
- delivery of aspects of the Health curriculum in cooperation with Physical Education Department
Consultation and Co-ordination Services
- liaison with/referrals to Child Guidance Clinic
- assessment and monitoring of services available to students
- support for teachers
- communication with parents to aid understanding of students’ behaviour and progress
Support to families during times of stress
Peer Support Program
- The counsellor trains and works with a team of students who have been nominated by their peers to serve as trained listeners, referral agents and assistants in the delivery of the health curriculum.
Consent and Confidentiality
Students are welcomed and encouraged to speak with the counsellor at any time, but particularly when struggling with school or personal issues.
Generally, information shared in the counselling office is confidential and not willingly disclosed. Legal and ethical limits of confidentiality include information regarding attempts to seriously hurt self or others, abuse allegations, search warrants, subpoenas and probation orders.
Counselling Contact Information